Labor and Other Things
Posted by Kelsea , Thursday, April 10, 2008 8:12 PM
Hey there folks. I can't believe this past week. Talk about change. My baby is already ten days old and I am trying to adjust to a new agenda. Lots of people have been asking me how I am doing and how labor went so here goes. I am doing good. Ty is very fun and we are getting used to the new schedules. We are still working on breastfeeding but it is coming along much better. We take naps when we can. Ty had a little case of jaundice that we got rid of after a few days of putting him on flourescent lights. He had to sleep in a little bed that looked like a tanning bed. He didn't enjoy it very much. He is already growing but doesn't fit into any of his 0-3 month clothes yet. I went and bought a couple premie outfits for bedtime and they fit fine. His first doc appt was on Tuesday and he gained an ounce from his birthweight so whatever he may have lost, he gained right back. Practice is the key word and we're all learning. Brandon of course is a wonderful daddy.
Labor was not that bad for me. On March 31 I got to the hospital at 7am and I was put on Pitocin at around 7:30am. My mom, my sister Kylee, my mother in law Lori and Brandon were with me the whole time. I was so grateful for their support right up until the end. When I arrived I was having contractions but they weren't painful so I felt lucky. I was dilated to a 2cm. At 1:00pm I got my epidural which was so great. I was totally relaxed for the next four hours and then came time to push. I threw up a couple times but nothing serious happened. I dilated consistently and pushed for two hours. My contractions became really strong near the end. Ty finally came out at 7:40pm and had the staff (and myself) a little concerned cause he wouldn't cry. It worried me a lot but all of his vitals were fine, he was just exhausted. They put him on oxegyn later and he was fine. He was the cutest pink baby ever weighing in at 8lbs. 1 oz. and was 20.25" long. My swelling increased from what it already was which was a little troublesome and I was of course sore for the next few days but other than that I had a good recovery. My mom has been here since March 29 and I don't want her to leave. She has helped so much, especially during the night. I don't know how I will ever repay her. She is actually going home next Thursday.
I am glad my little boy is here and that we are both healthy. I feel very blessed. I love my husband and my family. And now it's time for bed...
-K

I am so happy that all went well with your delivery and that you and Ty are adjusting well.
I know nursing can be difficult but good for you for sticking to it. With Landon I had to give it up at about 6 weeks because he was just so small and I was worried about him gaining weight but I was able to nurse Tori for about 4 months and that was nice.
It always amazes me that babies can't fit into those tiny 0-3 month clothes when they are first born, but Ty will out grow his premie and newborn clothes pretty quickly and you will look back and wonder how he ever fit into those tiny clothes.
I am so glad that you have your mom there to help you out. I do not know what I would have done without help after I had my kids, it is really nice to have someone there to help you adjust.
I hope everything continues to go well for you guys and I can't wait to see more pictures!! Love ya!